mNearly 3 years ago I wrote out a 5 year plan. Looking back on it now makes me laugh. Some things were completely missed or forgotten about and a few others actually happen!
Here is my 5 year plan // and what happen
2007 – 2008:
- Lead a weekly MA prayer meeting. // It never happened, but I certainly tried. Not to many people interested in prayer.
- Run a half marathon. // Not that year, but it did happen the next.
- Have a stunner professional portfolio of my graphic design work that was used throughout the year. // That didnâ€™t happen after the internship, but I would say my portfolio is a stunner now.
- Read the Unity of the Bible. // I never did read that hefty book, certainly still could though.
- Start a local Trailer Club or young life group. // Never did.
- Land a job in graphic design for Group Publishing. // Didnâ€™t land a job, but I did get a paid internship for 5 months.
- Get your first set of straight A’s in a full set of classes. // Never did.
- Build a stronger relationship with each one of my familymembers. // That one is hard to measure.
- Be the big brother little sisters dream about. // Again, hard to measure. She was in a bad phase and I certainly didnâ€™t know how to love on her, so I prayed, and prayed, and prayed some more for her.
- Find a strong group of Christians to sharpen and be sharpened by. // I did. The Watchmenâ€™s Cry prayer group where I met my wife.
- Meet with Congressman. // Never did.
- Run for School Board. // Never did.
- Persuade Christy into going into the Honor Academy. // She went a year early and is now mentoring girls in their first year there.
- Start a Roth investment plan. // Havenâ€™t yet. I am learning from Dave Ramsey that mutual funds are the way to go.
- Start a business. // Right on target. Should be legally formed this January.
- Run adventure race. // I won a miniature adventure race with my brother. A full scale one isnâ€™t quite pheasible now.
- Learn how to play an instrument, Guitar or cello. // Right on target. I am learning guitar. I still think it would be cool to play the cello.
- Have $12,000 put away in a savings account by the end of the year. // On target with no dept and a growing savings.
- Put a down payment on a house, flip it, and start looking into selling it or renting it. // Not likely with this economy, but you never know.
- Have one of the Gospels memorized. // I should probably get started on this one now.
3 Things I have learned and recommend
- It is worth having a 5 year plan: I hear and read a lot of people bash the idea of it, but it has not been experience. I will continue to do this even if I have to modify it along the way.
- Goals of need to be measurable, but not necessarily realistic. You never know what God might bring your way or take away for that matter.
- Keep your eyes on your dream. A lot of the dreams above never happen, because I forgot about them. I didnâ€™t print off this list and post it somewhere I could see it daily.
Not all things work out like you would want them to, but it will never hurt you to write down your dreams. God can and will out do you if you focus on Him.